Wednesday 20 June 2018

16th June Midsummer Brawl

This weekend Adam Bailey and I had arranged two 16 man steamrollers in one venue on the same day. Planning to gather 32 Warmachine players for a tournament. It was a great event with a lot of players and the first 32 person event I've helped arrange and run (I helped to run the 64 + 32 man events at Bonescon without arranging anything so it's not quite the same).

My weekend started on the Friday night as I drove up to Stockport where the event was being held in the evening, mainly because I didn't want to get up at 6am on a Saturday. After a stop over at the infamous Britannia hotel I drove the short distance to the Element Game store and met up with everyone, had a nice chat until the venue was opened and then went in with all the gear. I had a lot of gear as this wasn't my home venue, I'd had to bring terrain, zones, and a stream set-up with me as no-one else familiar with our stream could make it. This added a small level of stress to the day, but nothing TO Barry couldn't handle!

Setting up the room and stream was a little delayed due to me trying to multitask and do both, however we got started only a half hour later than we should have. We lost time after most rounds due to the unexpected amount of work required between rounds to reset tables and sort players out, this could be improved next time with a stricter enforcement of round time starts.

Overall there were very few difficult judge calls and no particularly difficult games/players that needed our attention. A brief rundown of the judge calls we had are; Do models out of formation contest, and can they have friendly spells cast on them  (no and no for reference). Can you reave fury if a transfer from a caster kills a warbeast (no), Can you make vengeance attacks if staggered (I believe yes, though I think I'm going to ask on the rules forum about this because I'm not 100% on it), can you boost a mount attack (yes, impact attacks are specifically not boosted, but mount attacks do not have this restriction),and then several line of sight and throw/least disturbance rules.

Overall it was a good day with positive feedback, only marred by our slipping schedule, which we are going to tighten up for the next brawl we organise.

No comments:

Post a Comment